25.4.10

RIP Prahalad

It would be an understatement to say that Prof. Prahalad is famous just among people who are into corporate strategy. Its sad to hear about the untimely demise of such a great person. Coincidentally, I recently had this discussion about Prof. Prahalad's ideas with one of my friends on how the poor in emerging markets have a huge untapped potential and how it can be harnessed by the big corporates of the world for profitability and how this can indirectly have an effect on improving the lives of the poor. The context of this discussion was me trying to borrow the book 'fortune at the bottom of the pyramid' from my friend.



I am having a tough time in borrowing books these days due to my recently gained reputation of being too sloppy and occasionally foolhardy, when it comes to returning them. Be it to the library, be it to my friends. Since my friend happens to be an ardent fan of Prof. Prahalad, him having attended one of the professors' acclaimed talks, I felt that I could talk him though lending me the book by utilizing my uncanny ability of throwing out a few excerpts from the book and gain his approval as a fan-peer of prahalad :). Hence, I did my research on the book but felt all the more fascinated and intrigued in due course by some of the ideas that prof. Prahalad has put forward like how more than 2.5 billion people live on less than $2.50 a day and how new models of business can be developed using technology to successfully target the demographic. I can't wait to borrow/steal the book from my friend and finish it asap thereby paying my tribute to the esteemed professor ( somehow neither renting the book from the library nor buying in online doesn't sound soo.. challenging ! :)  )

No comments:

Post a Comment