25.6.10

Ross Student Coffee Chat

Had a semi-hectic week at work so couldn't get any significant amount of work done during after-work hours.
I wanted to provide a quick update of my Ross student Coffee Chat that happened last sunday. 
I met with a  Ross '12 student ( Liselle ) who was generous enough to spend a few hours of her weekend time with us ( a few prospective students based around chicagoland ). Liselle is currently interning with ATKearney for the summer and I could tell from my brief conversation with her she was excited about her consulting gig and has been loving it so far. Since, this happened to be my first Coffee chat / meetup with a student/alumni and since I didn't prepare adequately to ask the right questions, I kind of stumbled with words / questions in the beginning. But here is a quick excerpt of my conversation with her and the rest of the chat attendees:

Me: What schools did you apply for and got admitted into?
L:    Harvard, Ross: Both are great schools for general mgmt. but I chose Ross as I went to Yale for undergrad        wanted a change of scenary from the east coast and also for the fact that I liked its emphasis on Strategy and its even-distribution of case-method and Lecture-based coursework.



Here's how my work/study/ play(really??) schedule is going to look like :
Starting from next week, I am planning on putting close to 15-20 hrs / week ( its kind of imperative now if I want to target Round1..isin't it ..??.. :-)  ) on brainstorming / essays. Hopefully, it doesn't get crazy busy at work for the next few months..( fingers crossed ).
Also, summer is round the corner and I recently got an opportunity to play for a Volleyball league at work. So now my monday evenings are busy with volleyball. Also, I intend to getback to playing Racquetball/Tennis on Wednesdays. That pretty leaves me with tue/thurs/fri/sat/sun. for some post-work study.
Here's the rough breakdown:
3 Weekdays - 2 hrs each. 
Weekend - 5-6 hours each day.

I should say I am slightly being influenced by Getting Things Done by David Allen. Though its a bit too methodical, it does provide a different perspective about how organizing and scheduling things can remove a lot of clutter around us and induce lot more productivity into our work/study.

No comments:

Post a Comment